A Guide to iPod Touch Skins and Wallpapers
What Are iPod Touch and iPhone Skins?
A skin is a thin protective cover with art printed on it. This protective cover is usually 2mm or less and is made of an adhesive-backed cast vinyl so you can easily apply it to your iPod. Good skins are scratch resistant and their adhesion is bubble-free and residue-free, so removal is easy and leaves no marks. Such skins are available for the iPod Touch, the iPhone, the iPod Nano, the iPod Classic, the Blackberry, and even for laptop computers.
There are quite a few companies that sell skins for electronics. My personal favourite, however, is GelaSkins. Here are examples of nature-related GelaSkins sold on Amazon.com. They also come with access to matching digital wallpaper downloads:
What are iPod Touch and iPhone Wallpapers?
iPod Touch and iPhone wallpapers are 320 x 480 images that you can set as wallpapers on those two electronic devices. These wallpapers only appear on the start-up screen, where you see the slider to unlock the iPod. They do not appear on the menu screen, which stays black.
Where can I find such wallpapers?
I feature free iPod and iPod Touch wallpapers here. As I just mentioned, when you purchase a Gela Skin, you get access to an online gallery of matching digital wallpaper downloads. Of course, a search on Google for “ipod touch wallpapers” will return over a million results!
How do I install wallpapers on the iPod Touch and the iPhone?
With your iPod Touch & Wi-Fi
- Turn on your iPod Touch and find a wallpaper you like online.
- Touch the image for about 3 seconds and then press on “Save Image”.
- Go to Settings > General > Wallpapers.
- Choose the folder where your image is located.
- Tap the image itself and select “Set as wallpaper”.
On your computer (Without Wi-Fi)
- Open your favourite browser and find a wallpaper you like online.
- Right-click or control-click on the image.
- Select “Save as…” and save the image to your hard drive
- PC: save it under the My Pictures folder.
- Mac: save it under the iPhoto or Pictures folder.
- Open iTunes, click the Photos tab and select “Sync photos from”.
- From the pop-up menu, do one of the following:
- PC: Choose your My Pictures folder.
- Mac: Choose iPhoto or your Pictures folder.
- Choose Folder, then choose any folder on your computer that has images.
- Choose “All photos,” or choose “Selected folders” or “Selected albums” and choose the folders or albums you want to sync.
- On your iPod, go to Settings > General, and choose the folder where you saved the wallpaper.
- Tap the image and select “Set as wallpaper”.